Monday, May 27, 2013

Surgery Part 1

On May 24 we were at the hospital by 8:00.  They prepped Jordan for her surgery, gave her some happy medicine and off she went.  My nerves were running on high.  While we were waiting, I kept praying.  The surgery started at about 10:30.  About an hour later, the fire alarm started going off.  I went into a little bit of a panic wanting to go back and get Jordan.  They told us they would let us know if we needed to evacuate but no one seemed worried.  Eventually the alarm stopped, and I got a call that Jordan was doing great but still in surgery.  About thirty minutes after the call, her doctor came to talk to us.  He said that the flap was in place but he was a little concerned that the end wasn't getting enough blood flow.  They were going to watch her for a while.  If they felt the blood supply wasn't good, they were going to snip a few stitches.  Around 1:00 they were ready for us to see her in recovery.  They felt that the flap was getting what it needed and did not have to snip any stitches.

When I saw Jordan, I was expecting her to be grouchy.  She was calm, and I even got a smile out of her.  The flap was nothing like I expected.  I can't even describe what it looked like.  It wasn't pretty.  God gave me the strength though to keep my cool and focus on my princess.  We got Jordan to her hospital room and settled in.  You could tell when she needed pain meds, because she began to get real restless.  The night was long.  They gave her antibiotics, and steroids through her IV off and on all night.  Her blood pressure was low, so they had to put her back on the IV.  Mom and I were up almost all night with her.

Then morning hit.  I noticed that her flap was getting dark and asked the nurse if that was normal.  She called the doctor and they arrived by 7:30.  From 5:30- 7:30 Mom and I slept.  The doctor came in and said that the flap was congested and the only way to try and save it was to go back to surgery and put it back on her forehead.  I thought I was going to pass out.  

Within thirty minutes Jordan was in surgery again.  After surgery, she was grouchy and I don't blame her. So the flap went back on her head and they took a skin graft from her groin to prop her nose open for now.  We go back to her doctor on Thursday to see what he will do.  We are all hoping that the blood supply returns to the part that was congested.  So, right now there are a lot of "IF's" (which I hate).  

My prayer for Jordan is that the blood supply returns we can start over again with the same flap.  Jordan is in good spirits.  She listens and is super careful with her head.  I can't wait to see her when this is done and she is healed.  She is amazing!!!

For we live by faith, not by sight  2Corinthians 5:7

No comments:

Post a Comment